Holiday Pop up Box Card Tutorial - The Hybrid Chick

I was so intrigued when I saw a pop up box card for the first time I knew I wanted to try it, but it looked pretty complicated and complex. So, I watched an on-line video tutorial on how to assemble the box. Much to my surprise, the box card is very simple and easy to assemble. (Just google Pop up box card tutorial and you will find a bunch).

So, I headed to the Silhouette store and purchased a Mothers Day box cutting file. It was fun and easy to create and I was very happy with the final results And Mom absolutely loved it! (I used Paper Garden Projects Folkart Love Digital Paper Pack to create it.)

Mom-Day-2014-Box-card-copy

Fast forward a few months to me trying to decide on a design for my Holiday cards. I made photo cards for the bulk of my card recipients, but there are those special few who I want to send something handcrafted too. Thats when I remembered the pop up box cards. I scoured the internet for a holiday themed box and nothing struck my fancy. So, I set out to make my own.

I decided to design mine around Paper Garden Projects Penguin Pals Digital Kit Bundle, because I just adore those little penguins decorating the tree.

Before we get started, lets go over what youll need:

  • Digital kit I used several Paper Garden Projects kits as follows:
  • Pop up box card cutting file I used the Mothers Day file from the Silhouette store
  • Cutting machine I used a Silhouette Cameo machine
  • Printer I used an HP inkjet printer
  • 2 sheets of card stock or matte photo paper I used Matt photo paper (Staples Store brand)
  • 1 sheet of copy paper or presentation paper I used Epson double sided presentation paper
  • Adhesive I used a glue stick

The first thing I did was open the penguin graphic in the silhouette software and used the trace feature to create cutting lines around the graphic. I then opened the box card cutting file and grabbed one of the box dividers.  I placed the traced penguin cutting lines over top of the box divider and using the weld feature in the silhouette software, I welded the two together.  Thats all there is to it. I now have a customized box divider that is shaped like my penguin graphic. I followed the same process for the second divider.

tracing-and-welding-copy

Before you cut them out, you have two options 1) place the graphic directly on the divider and use the print and cut feature to cut them out or 2) cut the dividers and the graphics separately and then layer/adhere the cut out graphic to the divider. I chose option 2, as I like the added depth layering provides. If you choose option 2, you will have to trace each critter to create cut lines.

Next, youll want to select papers for the box panels and flaps and print/cut them out accordingly. Since I am using 2 different papers for the box panels and flaps, I created a page in Photoshop and filled the bottom of the page with one paper and the top of the page with the other. I printed it out on presentation paper and then ran it through the silhouette.

sillouette-pages-copy

After printing and cutting everything out, all thats left to do is to assemble the box. Follow the instructions provided with your box cutting files or just google Pop up box card tutorial and you will find a bunch of assembly instructions.  You can add additional embellishments if you want. On my Mothers day card I added some shiny brads and rhinestones because I was hand delivering the card. I opted to forgo any additional embellishments for my holiday cards as I didnt want to risk any mishaps caused by the postal services machinery.

So, without further ado heres my finished penguin box. I think it came out so cute and I know my family and friends are going to love it.

Penguin-box-preview-1-copy-

And, heres a close up so you can see the dividers better. I also wanted to show you what the box card looks like folded and ready for an A2 (4 3/8 x 5 3/4) envelope. In addition, you can either write a personal message on the back panel, or leave it blank.

Penguin-box-preview-2-copy

IMPORTANT: It is always important to check the designers Terms of Use (TOU) to make sure altering their product is acceptable. Most designers allow you to do so as long as you are using it for personal use and not selling it. Personal use usually includes gift-giving, as long as you are giving the final finished product and NOT the digital files you altered to make the final project). If you want to sell your project, most designers offer commercial licenses to do so. When it doubt, check with the designer directly.

If you decide to make a pop-up box card, Id love to see it. Please post a link in the comments below. May your Holidays be merry and may the New Year bring you peace and happiness!

Other Articles by Donnatopia:

Related Posts with Thumbnails


Holiday Pop up Box Card Tutorial - The Hybrid Chick
I was so intrigued when I saw a pop up box card for the first time I knew I wanted to try it, but it looked pretty complicated and complex.

The Hybrid Chick on Bloglovin - Bloglovin | Follow your ...
Use Bloglovin to follow The Hybrid Chick, Holiday Pop up Box Card Tutorial. I was so intrigued when I saw a pop up box card for the first time

Pop Up Box Card Tutorial - SnickerdoodleDesigns by Karen
Pop Up Box Card Tutorial. awesome hybrid project I Use Easter Elements Fall Frame Garden Holiday Hybrid Mini Kit Nature Overlays Patriotic Personal Use

Tutorials and templates | Creative Pop Up Cards
Template for Gift Box Pop Up Card. Tutorial of Gift Box Pop Up Card. Template for the Complex Pyramid Christmas Tree Card. Tutorial of Complex Pyramid Christmas

Pop-up Gift Card Holder Tutorial - Paper Garden Projects
10 thoughts on Pop-up Gift Card Holder Tutorial Linda C. June 3, This is a great way to present a gift card. Hybrid Chick Blog;

Pop up box cards on Pinterest | 547 Pins
Card In A Box Essentials: from the scrap chick Every design in AI, Holiday Home Card in a Box by Gloria Kremer, 3D Rubber Band Pop Up Box Card Tutorial

Paper Garden Projects | Facebook
Paper Garden Projects. 6,095 amazing tutorial by Donna over at the Hybrid Chick. Gift Idea Holiday Pop up Box Card Tutorial Last Minute

RunningwScissorsStamper: Pop-Up Card in a Box
Have you seen these pop-up cards called Card in a Box or Pop-Up Box Card? When Splitcoaststampers came out with a tutorial,

How to make a Christmas POp UP Cards?
This is a video presenting how to make Christmas Pop Up cards using ready to print Hybrid product: Christmas Pop UP Cards by Marta van Eck.

Add Ink and Stamp: Tutorial for the Birthday Pop Up card
Tiffany Bauer said I just love this pop up card and the super awesome surprise inside!! Thank you so much for the tutorial too!! I will be featuring

Previous
Next Post »